Re: Updated SPARQL Query Results XML Format draft

Steve Harris wrote:

>>>Why optional? order="false" seems pretty reasonable, and optional
>>>things just make processing harder.
>>
>>Simplest would be to put in nothing - currently, ARQ preserves ordering
>>when reading regardless, preserves ordering when writing regardless and
>>does not indictae it in the XML produced.  It's streamed (well, nearly so -
>>I need to switch to StAX from SAX.  Or have a callback API (no!).  Details,
>>details) and that is important for XML result set usage IMHO.
>>
>>If it (order="") is mandatory, we also need a "don't know" value.
>

> I dont understadn why you would ommit it, having something like that be
> optional makes it pretty useless, if clients cant depend on it, why would
> they support it?
>
> - Steve

Omission would be when the result set is not known to be ordered.
ordered="true" means it is positively declared to be ordered.

As the client asked the query, I'd expect it to know anyway which is why I can't
think of a case that needs to record the ordering in the result set (as an
extension it can go at the end of <link>).

But like I said, XML is ordered, and ARQ streams (including end-to-end from
Joseki) so ordering is retained regardless.