Re: test cases for fromUnionQuery, please

On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 08:27:32PM +0900, Yoshio FUKUSHIGE wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Dan:
>
> >For each of these options, and any other designs anybody wants
> >the WG to consider, would you please send a test case that
> >distinguishes it from the design in the editor's draft?
> >Bonus points for suggesting textual changes.
>
> > (3) ala Yoshio, no implicit dataset; all data to be queried
> > is specified in the query
>
> >For (3), we one degenerate test case that distinguishes it
> >from rq23 is the 1st example in the spec:
> >
> >SELECT ?title
> >WHERE  { <http://example.org/book/book1>
> ><http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/title> ?title }
> >
> >that becomes illegal. Some specification of the data
> >to query is required; so the "hello world" example
> >would change to semething like:
> >
> >SELECT ?title FROM <books.rdf> WHERE { ?book dc:title ?title }.
> >
> >That seems like a significant change in direction, so
> >I'd like to see explicit support from several WG members
> >before we explore it further.
> >
> >Other things that become illegal in this design are answers
> >that come from beyond the graphs given in the query. I doubt
> >that can be expressed in our current test harness, but I suppose
> >we could figure out some way to do it.
>
> Hmm, I don't see it significant change.
> It's a design preference (EricP showed me in personal communication
> that using (1) or (2), we can still do the same thing as (3),
> but the query gets quite complicated).
> It's a simplification.
> (putting aside (0), it's the simliest one, I admit, but weaker)

Recording Yoshio and my whiteboard discussion here:

Given this data:
  <c>:
	<A> knows <B>

  <d>:
	<B> mbox <mailto:b>

It seems the following 4 expressions are all equivilent:

(1) (Named Graphs (arbitrary pre-existing data)):
  FROM <c> <d>
  WHERE {
	GRAPH ?g { ?who knows ?whom } .
	GRAPH ?g { ?whom mbox ?mbox } .
	FILTER ?g = <c> || ?g = <d>

(2) (Source (arbitrary pre-existing data)):
  FROM <c> <d>
  WHERE {
	SOURCE ?g { ?who knows ?whom } .
	SOURCE ?g { ?whom mbox ?mbox } .
	FILTER ?g = <c> || ?g = <d>

(3) (No Default Graph):
  FROM <c> <d>
  WHERE {
	?who knows ?whom .
	?whom mbox ?mbox } }

(?) (Source + CLEAR (arbitrary pre-existing data)):
  CLEAR
  FROM <c> <d>
  WHERE {
	?who knows ?whom .
	?whom mbox ?mbox } }

It is also possible to compile (3) into (1) or (2).

--
-eric

                        5322 Endo, Fujisawa, Kanagawa 252-8520
                        JAPAN