Re: query parameter name clashes?

On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 05:49:58PM +0000, Seaborne, Andy wrote:

> The parameter names only mean anything in the context of a request to a
> SPARQL
> query service.  Global names would be needed only if two services can be at
> the same service endpoint - I don't know of examples of that - anyone got
> any?

Protocol design also allows requests to graphs (hence, Bryan's point
about resource-centric apps and the possibilities of clash):

/foaf.rdf?key=value

isn't something I can find an example of this minute, but I'd be
*astonished* if there are NO implementations like this. And if there
are "query" and "graph" and other generic terms seem ripe for
clashing.

> A more likely situation is that services live at different service
> endpoints so
> the confusion can't arise.

Yes, but that ignores the resource and graph centric "way" of the Web
and implementation strategy. It's perfectly legit, and I can't ignore
it.

> I'm not concerned until there is a concrete example of a problem because I
> don't
> worry about requests meant for one service type being sent to another; I
> don't
> see a need for a "universal" service either.

Again, we're dealing with resources AND services, not one or the
other. Clashes seem much more likely w/ resources than services.

I'm concerned even if we can't find an example *this minute*.

> ':' might need to be encoded :-(

Ah, yes, of course. How stupid of me.

> I think we need to quantify the issue first.

Why quantify? Do you mean there's a threshold of existing possible
clashes that you require before this is a "real" issue? How high is
this threshold?

Kendall
--
Sometimes it's appropriate, even patriotic, to be ashamed
of your country. -- James Howard Kunstler