From: Seaborne, Andy [mailto:andy.seaborne@hp.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2004 8:43 AM
To: Thompson, Bryan B.
Cc: 'Dan Connolly '; 'RDF Data Access Working Group '; Bebee, Bradley R.
Subject: Re: tests and inference?

Thompson, Bryan B. wrote:
> Andy,
>
> So, would you agree that, as things stand, we can not have test cases
> for the functional performance of a SPAQL server as part of the spec?

I was talking about the query language, not the protocol.  Testing servers
is
about protocol.  What is not covered in testing functional performance that
is
not covered by issuing queries and checking the results?  Example?

I'll defer on what we are doing about testing the protocol - it's harder
(not
impossible) than testing just the query language as it is built on several
different components which interact (HTTP, networking, the query processor).

> If so, then I think that this is an issue that needs to be addressed.
> The simplest path would be to specify conformance for servers with no
> inference, and then leave clients on their own when the server was
> performing inference.
>
> I also think that this issue is sufficiently important that DAWG might
> re- consider a means in the protocol for the client to demand NO
> inference,

Coudln't that be done by asking a different service?  An RDF graph is the
unit
being queried (or collection of graphs in the case of SOURCE).  If a
publisher
wishes to provide access to both inference and non-inference versions of
some
information, then this can be achieved by having two services.  If the
publisher
does not wish to do that, then let's allow that choice as well.

 > if
> only so the client could establish a baseline against which to
> understand whether or not the server was performing correctly.

I don't completely understand this - "performing correctly" means returning
the
right answers.

If the testing is by the information publisher, then they can choose to do
this
(internally to their deployment) how they want.   No protocol defined
feature
necessary.

If the testing is by a regular client, then I don't understand what acess to
the
non-inference version achieves.  The service is query over one of more RDF
graphs.  How those graphs come about is an implementation matter and a
matter
for what the publisher chooses to make available.  I don't think we need
define
("an implementation must provide to be compliant") a feature, leave it to
teh
publishers to decide what services to make available.

	Andy