Re: what does SPARQL stand for? (issues#languageProtocolName)

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 17:04:50 -0600
Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org> wrote:

> I'm looking for issues we can close easily, and the name
> thing seems pretty well settled: I'm getting pretty much
> uniformly positive feedback on SPARQL.
>
> http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/issues#languageProtocolName
>
> But people then ask "what does it stand for?"

I've not heard many people ask for

> I think the original proposal was
>   "Simple Protocol and RDF Query Language"
>   --
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2004JulSep/0500.html
>
> but we haven't propagated that expansion into the draft(s).

It's in the <acronym> expansion in the sparql query document, part 1.
How it appeared there was an editorial choice.

> I propose that we do so.
>
> Hmm... what become of "ACTION EricP: set up a naming poll using WBS"?
> http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/ftf3-brs#sec-abs
>
> I guess we dropped it somehow. It doesn't seem worthwhile to me.
> Does anybody still want to do that?

Since I came up with it, how about this:
  SPARQL Protocol and RDF Query Language

since S=Simple isn't so true 1/2 :)

Dave