Re: SPARQL 2004-10-12 syntax and grammar issues

On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 12:15:07PM +0000, Dave Beckett wrote:

Dave, the only things I see being 'solved' by adding both or all of
several alternatives is variable prefixes and comment
delimiters. Maybe there's a slippery slope around here (which I take
to be yr point re: RDF/XML), but I don't agree that these alone have
started us down it.

> ISSUE: Variables with $ or variables with ?
> After the telcon discussion and preferences (vote?), I'm still
> waiting for the editors to announce what they are doing / have done.
>
> The 2004-10-26 telcon
>   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2004OctDec/0194.html
> had strawpoll approximately  no preference: 4  $: 5+1ish  ?: 1
> which I saw as favouring $ alone.

Just FYI, I'm pretty sure I would formally object if "$" alone is
chosen. Hate to say that, but I think it's a bad (even if relatively
small) mistake.

> ISSUE: Commas or no commas
> I've already seen user confusion when they tried to use ','s inside
> WHERE (s, p, o) and omitting them outside with SELECT ?x ?y.  I've
> mentioned this many times as likely to happen.  It's hard to remember.

I also find this confusing. I'd prefer commas in both places. iTQL
doesn't require commas between the parts of a triple, and I continue
to find that v. hard to read.

Kendall Clark
--
Sometimes it's appropriate, even patriotic, to be ashamed
of your country. -- James Howard Kunstler