Re: definitions for SELECT, projection, substitution [was: [Fwd: Re: ...]]

On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 04:01:24PM -0500, Dan Connolly wrote:

> I suggest that DISTINCT has no query language semantics;
> it is a protocol keyword that means "don't repeat
> substitutions when you tell them to me, please".

My protocol design is consistent with this; it treats distinct and
limit as protocol-level artifacts. (Which is not to say we shouldn't
have DISTINCT or LIMIT keywords in the query syntax, any less than not
having FROM -- these are useful but should be seen, I think, as hints
to the protocol.) IMO. FWIW. :>

Kendall Clark
--
And you have never been in love until you've seen
sunlight thrown over smashed human bone. --Morrissey