Re: SPARQL / Language spec ready for review

On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 05:37:17PM +0100, Seaborne, Andy wrote:

> [...]
> >
> >"Select information" seems a trifle vague.
>
> No change for now.  See below.
>

> >[[ 1.97 -- 2 Making Simple Queries
> >Patterns are descriptions of graphs with named variables in place of
> >some of the graph labels or relationships; the simplest graph patterns
> >are single triple patterns.  The graph labels are values as defined in
> >[RDF Core concepts] and are URIs, plain literals and typed literals.
> >Patterns can be combined using various operators into more complicated
> >patterns.
> >]]
> >
> >I think it'd be more consistent to call these "graph patterns" rather
> >than "patterns".
>
> v1.103:
> Done.
>

> >This is my attempt to kill two birds with one stone, by pushing the
> >definition of /graph label/ into 1 Introduction:
>
> Graph labels considered harmful : see :
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2004OctDec/0054.html
>
> This section has been updated based on Pat's comments.
>

> >[[ suggestion -- 1 Introduction
> >The subject, object and relationship components of graph statements may
> >be labeled.  The /graph labels/ are values as defined in [RDF Core
> >concepts] and are URIs, plain literals or typed literals.
> >
> >SPARQL is a query language for accessing such RDF graphs.  It provides
> >facilities to:
> >  * select labeled components from a target graph
> >  * extract RDF subgraphs
> >  * construct new RDF graphs based on information from the target of the
> >query.
> >]]
> >
> >[[ suggestion -- 2 Making Simple Queries
> >/Graph patterns/ are descriptions of graphs with named variables in
> >place of some of the graph labels.  The simplest graph patterns are
> >/triple patterns/ describing a single statement.  More complicated
> >graph patterns are formed using various operators to combine triple
> >patterns.
> >]]
> >
> >I use the term "statement" above because it was defined in 1
> >Introduction, whereas "triple" hasn't been defined.
>
> No change.
> Triple is from RDF Concepts.
> Use of statement has been eliminated from the document.
>

> >===
> >
> >2 Making Simple Queries
> >
> >The <div style="clear:both;"></div> appearing after the first set of
> >example diagrams (triple1, triple2, triplePattern1) doesn't have the
> >intended effect under either Safari 1.2.3 or Mozilla Firebird 0.7.  The
> >first of the three diagrams is pushed up by the text "with result:".
> >
> >The resources <alice@work.example> and <robt@home.example> aren't valid
> >URI references.  They should have a scheme part, presumably mailto:.
>
> Can't change at the moment : I don't have the technology to change the
> images.
>
> For now, better to have the text and images agree even if both wrong,
> rather than text right and images different.
1.06:

I updated the doc a bit to make sure that all the refs to the data in
that picture has "email addr" rather than <email addr>. Dan has
requested a starting query wihtout bNodes. Simon doesn't want us to
label the bNodes. As soon as I come up with the right graph and
pattern, I'll update the pictures, alt text and results. (Monkying
around with the pictures now will result in lost work.)

I say "right graph" because I'm looking for a graph where the graph
pattern is nore than one triple pattern, and will realistically match
more than one piece of data. I like foaf 'cause it's popular and we
can communicate more effectively if we talk about familiar data.

My currect favorite for the graph is still a foaf example where alice
knows bob and eve and the query doesn't concearn itself with labeling
the bNodes as the text never mentions them. Thoughts?

> >The labeling of blank nodes with _:1 and _:2 in both the triple
> >diagrams and  the "who" column of the result gives the impression that
> >the blank nodes have labels.  People desperately want to believe this,
> >but it's not true and I'm uncomfortable about ever giving anyone an
> >excuse to think so, doubly so in a W3C-sanctioned document.  Removing
> >the _:1 and _:2 labels from the triple diagrams and leaving them in the
> >result set would make me happier.  I prefer "harder to understand" over
> >"easy to misunderstand".

Nack (for right now) but working on it.

> >I would prefer the diagram "query1" to be called "graphPattern1".
>
> I'll leave this to Eric.
1.06:
done

--
-eric

                        5322 Endo, Fujisawa, Kanagawa 252-8520
                        JAPAN
cell:   +1.857.222.5741 (does not work in Asia)

(eric@w3.org)
email address distribution.