Re: use case: content selection based on client profile

On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 12:05:02PM +0100, Seaborne, Andy wrote:

> Looking through the profile, I wrote the query:

> PREFIX prf: <http://www.wapforum.org/UAPROF/ccppschema-20000405#>
> ASK
>  { ?x rdf:type prf:HardwarePlatform .
>    ?x prf:ColorCapable "Yes" . }
>
> which tests whether any #HardwarePlatform has a prf:ColorCapable value
> of "Yes"
>
> On this date, this resulted in:
>
> Ask => Yes          (Printed by the program running the query).
>
> so writing a suitable function to do dc:HardwarePlatform:ColorCapable()
> looks possible by a query over the profile itself.  I presume that the
> server will have taken care of the profile diffs to produce an RDF model
> of the device.
>

> Looking at the profile, I see use of RDF bags.  Querying bags at the raw
> triple level is hard - RDF lists (collections) are harder still.  This
> suggest an explicit operation such as "member(?bag, ?x)" to access the
> contents.  But for an RDF list this seems to be fine-graingraph walking
> so has implementation issues.
>
> I'd like to hear from people with RDF storage implementations as to know
> they deal with containers and collections.

In memory DB supports Algae's glob-style wildcards in predicates
(rdf:_*). It also had a function for finding members of collections,
but I think that's probably suffered some bitrot.

--
-eric

                        5322 Endo, Fujisawa, Kanagawa 252-8520
                        JAPAN
cell:   +1.857.222.5741 (does not work in Asia)

(eric@w3.org)
email address distribution.