RE: Proposed XQuery requirement and/or objective

Jim-

No, I don't think we are too far off here. If you are in favor of a
[surface layer/grammar/concrete syntax] for the DAWG proposed query
language that builds upon a widely-adopted format, then we are agreed in
principle.

Tactics on the other hand... ;-)

We think XQuery is a better basis for a surface layer for several
reasons:

(1)     XQuery is more modular than SQL. It lends itself to a richer use
of its grammar and simple query semantics, without adopting the data
model, than does ANSI SQL. We are _not_ proposing a simple "looks like
XQuery" surface layer here, _nor_ are we proposing a wholesale adoption
of the XQuery data model and XPath. Instead, we feel like a happy medium
of XQuery syntax (language constructs) and grammar (keywords) and simple
semantics (meanings to keywords) should be the basis of the DAWG surface
layer.  For this point, I wholly defer to Rob Shearer - who is an expert
on implementing XQuery over inference engines and SemWeb data structures
- he will correct and augment my language as needed.

(2)     XQuery is a W3C spec. We believe in supporting the W3C
initiatives and making use of the layered architecture principles
advocated by this organization. Barring any technical barriers that are
insurmountable, we think that XQuery should be the natural starting
point for this surface syntax. (apparently the authors of the DAWG
charter did as well)

(3)     XQuery is more "general purpose" than SQL. We believe that the
Semantic Web (engines and language specs) will be about far more than
databases or data access. Our customers use our XQuery-based inference
engine for many non-database use cases. For instance, the use of OWL/RDF
for encapsulating business rules than can be deduced at runtime by
enterprise applications. Likewise, many of our customers are using OWL
as a query mediation schema for heterogeneous data access to web
services. Neither of these cases is database-like in its implementation.
We foresee a future where the Semantic Web does far more than provide
"federated databases" or "data integration" style applications. We think
that business rules, business logic, web services interface management,
process management and so forth are important aspects of the long-term
development of the Semantic Web vision that require a more general
purpose query language than SQL.

(4)     XQuery has a native XML context. Regardless of all the political
infighting that occurred, the output of RDF and OWL (and most likely
SWRL) specifications was solidly grounded upon XML inside the SemWeb
layer cake. As the foundation of the layer cake, XML serves as a common
syntax for all SemWeb languages, it makes sense to ground the query
layer in a similar syntactic (or surface layer) basis. Further, since
the commitment was made to XML in this capacity, we think it a natural
fit to choose a unified query concrete syntax that is grounded in the
native data representation syntax for semantic web specifications.

I feel like there are many other good supporting arguments and rationale
for XQuery, so I reserve the right to add to this list later.  ;-)

But for now, these are some of the important reasons why XQuery would be
a better surface syntax than SQL for the DAWG query output.

Regards,

-Jeff-

  _____