Re: Fwd: External Storage of Queries

this is related to something ericP, andyS and
i were discussing on monday. specifically,
eric suggested the ability to compose queries
run over different data sources was useful.

for example, given a manufacturer data source
of products and a number of vendors that
sell those products, it would be very useful
to compose the two queries:
    1) search manufacturer data source for
       products that match criteria x,y,z
    2) search all vendor sources for prices
       on the matching products.
    so, the result bindings of #1 become
    parameters (argument bindings) for #2.

this can be done in the client application
program. but there are convenience and
performance advantages when done in the
query subsystem (DAWG layer) directly.

enabling query composition requires the
ability to "name" queries and requires
queries to have arguments.

the obvious choice of a name is a URI.
parameterized queries are useful in any case.

seems like a very useful ability (query
composition - also supported in functional
languages like xsrql, i believe).

i don't know if ericP and andyS have
raised the issue at the f2f. but, i'd
like to see it included as a requirement
or an objective.  :)

kevin