RE: thoughts and some refs about AFS-2 UC (simplicity, minimalism )

I think the JDBC example is quite apt. It's a great technology (compared
to what came before), but it's quite independent of its SQL payload.

I can see a good argument for a JDBC-style standard, however I worry
this working group would be wasting its time to dwell on it.

First, it's worth noting that JDBC is *not* a web service or network
protocol. It's a client programming interface. This distinction makes
its design much much simpler. If you've got a client library sitting
right underneath you, then you have a place to put all your
implementation-specific optimizations. This means that you can always
err on the "too fine-grained" side during API design. Return of result
sets can be broken down into tiny micro-ops like iterating from row to
row, and the client library will do lots of clever coordination in terms
of when data actually gets shifted across the network. If you're just
defining the network protocol itself, you need to build in the superset
of all operations that might be useful, providing maximum flexibility. I
think this is possible, but I see it as a totally distinct exercise from
query language construction, requiring entirely different member
backgrounds and expertise. A solid understanding of RDF just doesn't
seem that relevent to this task.

I also worry that we'd end up getting bogged down in details that other
standards are already working on. There is already plenty of work going
on with respect to RPC and access control; is it really worth even
tinkering in that area ourselves?

If we really want to, then I think we can come up with a big set of SOAP
functions (or some such) which constitute a mechanism for passing a
query and retrieving results. I even think Network Inference could
directly benefit from such a standard. I just think we should put first
things first and start with the query language itself. Once the language
is standardized, simple connectors (with a straightforward client-side
interface) will be extremely simple to create, and it won't be difficult
to write facades to get different systems working together.

As an engineer, I think standardization of the network protocol is
helpful but not necessary. It's the query language I can't build on my
own.