Re: Use case: AR-2: "Federated query"

On Mar 17, 2004, at 22:41, ext Alberto Reggiori wrote:

> == Use Case Name
>
> Federated query
>
> == Intent: Task & Roles
>
> Actor/User Agent needs to seamlessly query/access/integrate related
> chunks/pieces of data coming from a set of decentralized heterogeneous
> sources, and get presented an unified view over a the whole
> result-set/data-set.

While this is an important, and needed, application, this seems out of
scope
to me.

Some particular service could provide a DAWG conformant interface to a
virtual
knowledge store which constitutes a federation of heterogenous
knowledge from
a broad range of disparate repositories -- but a DAWG agent should not
be concerned
with, or even be aware of, such federation.

Such a service would be very useful, and I expect it to be done often,
but it
has IMO no affect on how queries are expressed and submitted to
services for
resolution.

The same goes for any form of distributed query.

(or have I missed something more fundamental, Alberto, in your test
case?)

Patrick

Patrick Stickler
Nokia, Finland