Re: JS-2: implicit inclusion of annotations

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 10:38:21PM +0200, Janne Saarela wrote:

> == Task & Roles
>
> A client software wishes to connect to server software
> to retrieve RDF via a query. The client wishes to render
> the query result for the user using XSLT. The XSL
> transformation should be self-sufficient i.e. no more
> queries are needed from the XSL itself to render
> human readable strings.
>
> == Description
>
> A client requests for music:genre property value
> from a server. Here, the music:genre value will be a
> resource type of object.
>
> The client uses XSLT to transform the query result
> into XHTML. For a Finnish user, an object value
> 'http://music.org/genres/Classical' should be rendered as
> string 'Klassinen musiikki' and for English speaking
> users as 'Classic music'. In addition, the property
> 'music:genre' should be rendered as 'tyylilaji' for
> Finnish users and as 'genre' for English speaking users.
>
> These strings might be available via schema annotations
> using primitives such as  rdfs:label or rdfs:comment.
>
> Instead of making a complex query (at the end of the
> day) which returns rdfs:label and rdfs:comment for
> the resource values and for properties, a syntactic
> sugar would be useful to make the annotations available
> for all of them in the query result.

One could get the answer:

  { ?tune vcard:FN "L'amour de loin".
    ?tune mb:genre ?genre. } => { <> answer (?genre) }.

and the presentation information:

  { mn:genre rdfs:label ?label } => { <> answer (?label) }.

separately. Is it a common case that the client asking
about an mb:genre property won't know how to display it?

I think this presentation request comes up more commonly
when the client doesn't know exactly what properties it
is looking for:

  { ?thingy vcard:FN "L'amour de loin".
    ?thingy ?p       ?v. } => { <> answer (?p ?v) }.

A query language that expressed variable predicates would
allow for these queries to be smushed together:

  { ?thingy vcard:FN   "L'amour de loin".
    ?thingy ?p         ?v.
    ?p      rdfs:label ?label } => { <> answer (?p ?v ?label) }.
--
-eric

                        5322 Endo, Fujisawa, Kanagawa 252-8520
                        JAPAN
cell:   +1.857.222.5741 (does not work in Asia)

(eric@w3.org)
email address distribution.