Re: Qustions about UC&R 1.114

On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 03:54:48PM +0100, Seaborne, Andy wrote:

> Kendall,
>
> 1/ 2.10 "Discovering Learning Resources"
>
> As I read 2.10 "Discovering Learning Resources", the professor submits a
> query to the web site, that is, as far as the prof is concerned, there is
> one destination for the query.  The target is an aggregation, hence the
> provenance information returned in the results.
>
> In what way does this motivate "Aggregate Query" where there is multiple
> named targets for the query?  The value seems to be in the fact that the
> recommended web site has done the aggregation, removing the need for the
> prof to know about several different places.

Andy,

Good questions. I hate to do the cheap thing and say "ask Dave" but,
well, you should ask Dave. In other words, I'm not really sure *who*
does the aggregate query in this UC. For my 2 cents, though, it
doesn't have to be the professor's agent that does it in order for it
to motivate aggregate query. If the other sites do it, that still
motivates IMO.

> 2/ 2.11 "Finding Out New Things About People"
>
> I didn't see the connection to motivate provenance. I can't see where the
> crawler needs to know where any statements came from.

Crawlers *always* need to know where statements come from, don't they?
Seriously, tracking provenance of statements while crawling is like
the canonical example that motivates people to add quads or some other
context tracking mechanism. I can think of examples of this from the
spider that Krech wrote for  rdflib, to Matt Biddulph's FOAF crawling
work, to others.

> PS The CVS date isn't changing - its still June 7.  Timewrap?

Interesting. I didn't notice that. Maybe ericp can ask the CVS mavens?

Kendall