Re: requirement: multigraph query

On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 04:35:09PM -0400, Farrukh Najmi wrote:

> +1 on keeping federated query support out-of-scope. IMO, our focus should
> be on one querying one RDF repository.

I didn't propose federated query. I proposed multi*graph* (which may
very well be *local*) query. (The two readings of my requirement are
about the semantics of the query (query then union, union then query)
rather than about where the graphs are or were or something...)

Consider a TriX file that contains a graphset which contains multiple
graph serializations. I'd like to be able to query *some* of them (say
the ones that hold metadata about the other graphs, or the ones that
are from Joe, not Lisa, etc) rather than all or none of them.

> Other standards such as ebXML Registry (ISO 15000 part 3 and 4) can provide
> federated capabilities across multiple repositories with access control etc.

That wasn't my requirement. It seems unfair to reject a requirement
because it's taken, mistakenly, to imply a design strategy one
disagrees with.

Best,
Kendall Clark