Use of RIF-in-RDF in normative test (was Re: RIF entailment regime in SPARQL 1.1 standard)

[Replying on the archived list, for WG attention.]

On 11/12/2012 05:53 PM, Mike Dean wrote:
> rif02 is a similar query, but uses RIF in RDF [2] instead of XML for the RIF rules [3].  We can load it as triples, but don't do anything with them.  We could probably create a couple rules to handle this specific case, but that seems like cheating.
>
> Several questions:
>
> 1) Does successfully executing 1 of 2 tests meet the requirement?
>
> 2) Is it appropriate for rif02 to use RIF in RDF at CR, since that's still a Working Draft?

Thanks for catching this, Mike.     As you suggest, RIF-in-RDF is a RIF
Working Group Note (not a Rec-Track document), so it's not appropriate
to require implementing it for implementing the SPARQL RIF Core
Entailment Regime.

I think the text in the spec could probably be clearer.  It says: "the
URI for a RIF rule set (which may be encoded in RIF-XML or RIF-in-RDF)",
without clarifying that implementation do not have to handle both.

So, I think we'll need to make that test case optional.

At ISWC I talked to you about the possibility of putting together a few
more tests.   Any chance you've had the chance to do that?

        -- Sandro