Re: BIND semantics (2)

(not an official reply)

Hi Jeremy,

On 14/08/12 06:24, Jeremy Carroll wrote:
> This is a formal last call comment on
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-sparql11-query-20120724/
> following on from my colleague's comment
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg-comments/2012Aug/0014.html
>

> Do the following sections of the specification contradict each other?
>
> A) http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-sparql11-query-20120724/#selectExpressions
> "The rules of assignment in SELECT expression are the same as for
> assignment in BIND."

Rules that matter are:

1/ scope - the variable must not be already in scope

What the reach of the BIND operator actually is at that point is related
to the substance of your comment but the rule is still that the variable
must be fresh.

2/ evaluation - e.g. error in evaluation leaves assigned the variable
unbound.  For example, BIND(?undef AS ?x) leaves ?x unbound.

3/ SELECT expression also work left-to-right

SELECT (1 AS ?one) (?one+1 AS ?two) {}

	Andy