Re: Pagination in SPARQL OFFSET and LIMIT needs ORDER BY

Dear workgroup,

I realized that I might not have been so clear in describing the problem.

Assume that you maintain a publicly available SPARQL endpoint.
You want to support both a HTML view and the official SPARQL formats.

Lets say a user executes the query
SELECT * WHERE {?s ?p ?o}
This will download every triple in your store. In my store this will
mean trying to download 160gb of triples via a single HTTP connection.
This is not likely to work and if it did most browser will crash on the
HTML view.

Therefore I would like to always put a LIMIT on the query to make sure
that the result will match the capabilities of a common HTTP connection.
e.g. default LIMIT 1000

But I do want people to download more than just the first 1000 results
to their query. I just want them to do it in multiple requests that are
likely to complete and not crash their browsers.

So I need pagination i.e. OFFSET. In practical terms this does exactly
what I need (having briefly tested OWLIM and Virtuoso).
i.e. page 1 SELECT * WHERE {?s ?p ?o} OFFSET 0 LIMIT 1000
      page 2 SELECT * WHERE {?s ?p ?o} OFFSET 1000 LIMIT 1000
Until there are no more results. However, this is not specified to work
in the current public draft.

Having the following 2 triples in a store.
<_:1> <lala> "hi"
<_:1> <lala> "by"

The following query
SELECT * WHERE {?s ?p ?o}
Can evaluate to either a)
<_:1> <lala> "hi"
<_:1> <lala> "by"
or b)
<_:1> <lala> "by"
<_:1> <lala> "hi"

i.e. ordering is random but all results are returned.

The following query, assume the implementation always returns ordering a)

SELECT * WHERE {?s ?p ?o} OFFSET 0 LIMIT 1

Can return
<_:1> <lala> "hi"
And in the same store it is valid to return this for
SELECT * WHERE {?s ?p ?o} OFFSET 1 LIMIT 1
As well.

So while the chunks are small I am not guaranteed to get all valid
results. I need to add an ORDER BY clause. However, I can't without
changing the query as you can not add ORDER BY *. Nor is this always
desired because ORDER BY actually means that you need to ORDER the
results. This can be very expensive relative to executing the query.

Therefore, I would define OFFSET more specifically.

When a implementation returns a result set for a query. Then it should
do so in a deterministic manner. i.e. executing the same query twice on
a store with constant data will return results in the same order.
The OFFSET parameter is then interpreted as discard the first X results
that a the same query without OFFSET would have generated.

This means that for a query A with N results. The concatenation results
of queries A OFFSET 0..N LIMIT 1 is equal to the result of the query A.

Regards,
Jerven Bolleman

P.S. the original source of this discussion is.
http://answers.semanticweb.com/questions/9456/jena-pagination-for-sparql