Re: SPARQL 1.1 Protocol: Format of fault messages

* Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de> [2010-10-04 12:52+0100]

> On 3 Oct 2010, at 22:05, Eric Prud'hommeaux wrote:
> >>If you write in the spec that they should serve XHTML, then they
> >>will serve you tag soup. This is not a realistic option.
> >
> >what if i say it's XML which happens to parse as HTML?
>
> And you think they won't realize that you ask them to serve XHTML?

I misdirected a bit here. I should have said "what's wrong with tag
soup?" In fact, I'm servers will want to be polite to their users by
sending all kinds of cool stuff, plus an element with the conformant
(base-line) error message.

> To be honest, given that you seem to be happy with XML as the
> default successful result format, I don't understand why you go to
> such efforts for a human-readable and extensible *error* format. You
> have that a bit backwards.

Just because all of the existing clients have browser-friendly error
messages and I doubt they want to break those human interactions.
Putting e.g. sparlq-xml-results in user's faces will turn some folks
off.

--
-ericP