Re: Missing LET (Assignment) in SPARQL 1.1

Holger Knublauch wrote:
>> This example actually is a good example of one thing that concerns me
>> about assignment (and remember that my implementation is one that does
>> support LET expressions): I'm concerned whenever a new SPARQL
>> construct has an order-dependence. SPARQL is already order-dependent
>> in cases involving OPTIONAL, but I prefer to keep as much of SPARQL
>> order-independent as is possible. The above collection of assignments
>> reads OK because of the order they're presented in, but if you switch
>> the order around it's not at all clear to me what the proper algebraic
>> expectations would be.
>
> Yes, LET assignments will (have to) be order dependent. And yes, this is
> a good thing. Sure, it may not be perfect from some theoretical point of
> view, but without ordering the whole approach would not work, and we
> would throw out the baby with the bath water. Even the solution with
> nested sub-selects is order dependent. Giving users the ability to
> specify the order in a reliable way has not been a problem with any
> other mainstream computer language, so why should SPARQL be different?

SPARQL is a query language, and my understanding of previous discussions
is that there is concern that an assignment construct turns a (mostly)
declarative language into a (somewhat) imperative language, which is (at
least) a different mind set for users. Again, I'm just repeating what I
believe I've heard from WG members.

Also, for what it's worth, I don't think that LET need be ordered - the
Open Anzo implementation is not, and it's (nevertheless) very useful for us.

Also, as currently specified in our Working Drafts, subqueries are not
order dependent. Andy or Steve will correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure. :-)

> Same with FILTERs - often the query designer knows very well where he
> wants the FILTERing to take place. Why should an engine be required to
> do the re-ordering automatically and possibly mess up any performance
> expectations? But that's a separate topic :)

FILTERs are not order dependent in SPARQL. They are attached
(conceptually) to either the optional pattern or the group pattern in
which they occur.

>> You can project multiple expressions from a single subquery, so I'm
>> not sure that's a concern?
>
> The problem is readability. Imagine a couple of expressions in the same
> SELECT row...

I don't see any problem here...

>> Again, why not put both calculations in a single subquery? I don't
>> know what "*?this*" is, but I'd expect this query to be much easier to
>> read as:
>>
>> CONSTRUCT {
>>    ?diamond spinbox:replaceWith spinbox:Space .
>>    ?world boulders:diamondsCollected ?newDiamondsCount .
>> }
>> WHERE {
>>  SELECT ?world (?oldDiamondCount + 1 AS ?newDiamongCount)
>> (spinbox:getNeighbor(?this, ?direction) AS ?diamond) {
>>    ?world spinbox:field ?this .
>>    ?world spinbox:keyDirection ?direction .
>>    ?diamond a boulders:Diamond .
>>    ?world spinbox:field ?this .
>>    ?world boulders:diamondsCollected ?oldDiamondsCount .
>>  }
>> }
>
> Because I am using the variable ?diamond in the WHERE clause,

Ah, yes, I had not seen that.

Lee

and not