RE: Feature request: IN operator

Hi

The IN predicate is generally a good thing.  Filter should definitely not be  taken to mean filter after generating results.  Filter is just conditions, it says nothing about evaluation order.

As a matter of fact,  select ?x where {filter (?x = 42)} does evaluate to 42 with Virtuoso.

With SQL, we do all the expected tricks with IN whether with subquery or scalar expression list.  This includes iterating over the IN values before joining if the left side of IN is an indexable column.  Otherwise, we get the values and test for the IN condition after the fact.

In the scalar exp list variant of IN, we allow an expression to return an array and then treat the elements of the array as if they were top level values of the right hand side of IN.  With SPARQL, you could write:

select ?syn where { <xxx> ?p ?o . filter (bif:one_of_these (?p, ?interesting)) . ?syn ?p ?o}

Syn is anything that shares at least one interesting property value with <xx>.  ?interesting is a parameter bound in an outer context.  bif:one_of_these is just an internal form of IN, as we do not have IN as a special case in the SPARQL parser.  Might as well, for that matter.

In many cases, subproperty or subclass inference  will substitute for this.  Being able to pass a variable number of values for IN is good in special cases if one knows exactly what one wants and does not want to materialize these things into some graph.  But this would require importing the XQuery sequence type.

Personally I think this is all fine but it may be that this is too complicated to make it through the committee process.  Can always try, though.

But if we have IN with scalars we should have IN with subquery also.

The subquery variant of IN resolves to an existence subquery.

I.e.  select count (*)from customer where c_id in (select o_c_id from orders where o_date > xxx)

is the set  of customers with at least one order newer than xx.

This can be said as

select c_id from customer where exists (select * from orders where o_c_id = c_id and o_date > xxx)

We optimize all these things by first making these into existences and then recognizing different special cases.

In SPARQL, I suppose this would be

select ?c where { ?c a <customer> . filter )!unsaid { ?c has_order ?o . ?o has_date ?d . filter (?d > xxx)})}

With Virtuoso we do this SQL style with exists and a subquery

select ?c where {?c a customer . filter (bif:exists ((select (1) where {?c has_order ?o . ?o has_date ?d . filter (?d >  xxx) })) }

But the !unsaid is maybe nicer, more SPARQL like.  But it does not cut it for the scalar subquery.

select ?c ((select count (*) where {?c has_order ?o . ?o has_date ?d . filter (?d > xxx)})) where { ?c a customer} order by desc 2;

This is the set of customers with new orders, the one with the most new orders first.

Again, the filter says nothing about execution order.  If the cardinality of the recent orders is determined to be less than the cardinality of customers, the new orders becomes the outer loop.

The proposal would then be:

variable IN (<expression_list>)

or

variable in <scalar subquery>

where the latter is a syntax sugar for exists.

The expression klist would be expressions, of which some could evaluate to sequences.

Parameters have already been proposed earlier.

Orri

  _____