Re: Free-text search and SPARQL New Features and Rationale draft

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the feedback.

The Working Group did seriously & carefully consider free-text search as
a feature for this iteration of standards, but in the end decided
against it. You can see some of the discussion surrounding it in a few
places:

* proposal to work on full-text search:
http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/wiki/Feature:FullText

* discussion on 4-21 teleconference showed decent support
http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/meeting/2009-04-21#FullText

* discussion at the first F2F
http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/meeting/2009-05-06#Full__2d_text_search

The end result is that while many in the group agree with you (myself
included), there was enough concern about the challenge of specifying it
and the cost of implementing it and the relative priority with the
things the group did adopt that it ended up falling (just) short of the
mark.

best,
Lee