Re: Issue with top-down and bottom-up semantics

Frank,

Thank you for your comment. This is an issue that has been discussed
many times by the working group, and I do not see any new information in
your message that should cause the Working Group to reconsider the
design at this point in time. OPTIONAL, in particular, has been in the
language since July of 2004[1], and is in extremely wide use by the
SPARQL user community and is widely implemented. [2] Note that the
Working Group has on record a long-standing objection [3] about the
adoption of OPTIONAL [4], and also an objection to the use of an
algebraic rather than declarative semantics [5].

Please let us know if you are satisfied with this response. If not, I
will be glad to add your comment in support of either or both of the
above objections.

Lee

[1] http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/ftf2#initdn3
[2] http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/tests/implementations