Re: Issue against june 14th edition of SPARQL

Francis McCabe wrote:

> Referring to
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/CR-rdf-sparql-query-20070614/
>
> The treatment of the ORDER BY solution processing is less than clear.
>
> The text states:
>
> [16]  OrderClause  ::=  'ORDER' 'BY' OrderCondition+
> [17]  OrderCondition  ::=  ( 'ASC' | 'DESC' ) BrackettedExpression )
>              | ( Constraint | Var )
>

> This grammar permits *any* expression or constraint to be an order
> condition. But the text fails to give clear semantics for this.
>
> For example, what does
>
> .... order by ?x < 34
>
> mean?

Hi Frank,

Looking at
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/rq23/rq25.html#modOrderBy, I see:

"""
The ascending order of two solutions with respect to an ordering
comparator is established by substituting the solution bindings into the
expressions and comparing them with the "<" operator.
"""

In your example, if we had two solutions in a solution set, say:

?x
--
35
33

...then those two solutions would be ordered by evaluating the
expression for each:

   33 < 34 --> "true"^^xsd:boolean
   35 < 34 --> "false"^^xsd:boolean

http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/rq23/rq25.html#OperatorMapping
defines A < B for two xsd:boolean's based on op:boolean-less-than from
XPath functions and operators:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath-functions/#func-boolean-less-than

In short: false < true, and so the correct ordering of the above
solutions becomes:

?x
--
33
35

Note that the text in the #modOrderBy has changed a bit in the editors'
draft since the Candidate Recommendation publication to clarify the
relative ordering of different types of terms.

To help our comment tracking, please let us know if this addresses your
comment.

thanks,
Lee