Re: comments on SPARQL Query Language for RDF

Hi Pat,

On May 29, 2007, at 1954, Pat Hayes wrote:

> <snip>

> However, I am at a loss to understand how you refer to these
> 150,000 graphs if you have no way to name them. How do you even
> know how many you have?

Each of the graphs consists of triples extracted from a different
document.  The document might be identified by a file name, or a
message ID,
a documentum identifier, or whatever.  The quads for that document
share a common context argument; a blank node.  The same
blank node appears in subject position to record provenance
assertions about the graph (which document, which extractor used,
time of extraction, etc).

> (It sounds from your description that you are in effect treating
> the provenance as *being* the name of the graph. Does that
> perspective help reconcile things?

You still seem to feel a need to name each graph.  Rows in a
relational table don't have names and are still identifiable.  The
same goes for graphs;
names are unnecessary, and not particularly useful.

> There has to be some way for the query to refer to them. If you can
> think of way of doing this without somehow naming them, please
> explain it.
Hopefully, I just have.

> <snip>
> OK. Do you always query against the same set of unnamed graphs?

Yes in the short term.  New graphs are introduced on a continuing basis.

> If so, you can treat this as a single graph for purposes of
> defining a SPARQL query answer.

Its a single graph if we ignore provenance, but not if we take
provenance into account when we query.

Cheers, Bob