Re: comments on SPARQL Query Language for RDF

Hi Richard,

Point 1:  I admit to a small mistake.  What I liked about the
erstwhile SOURCE construct was that it allowed the
fourth (context) argument to be a variable.  The supposition was that
the value of that variable would
be an indicator of the "source" of the matching statements, but there
was no machinery that would have
prevented us from attaching arbitrary provenance to the resources
bound to that variable.  So, our
intent was to use SOURCE as a springboard for full four-valued
statements.  My mistake was in not mentioning
that we were championing the syntax, rather than the rather
restricted usage that was thought to be associated
with it.

Point 2: Any system that assumes that contexts have to have names is
ultimately non-scalable.  We have
empirical data on this (which I have mentioned in prior conversations
with Franz' Jans Aasman), but I'm
not going to dwell on it here.  The basic principle is that the
semantics lies with the provenance attached to the
contexts, not in the names of the contexts.  That means that (1) the
quad store must admit blank nodes as
contexts as well as URIs (I assume that AllegroGraph is fine with
that), and (2) the query language must allow
contexts to be variables (which is where I believe SPARQL falls on
its face).

Point 3:  All examples I've seen in SPARQL show finite enumerations
of named graphs in FROM NAMED
clauses.  Some of our applications work with tens of thousands of
different contexts (and we are just warming
up).  If the GRAPH construct remedies that, then that would be good
news.  However, there is no example in
     http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-sparql-query
or anywhere else that I've happened upon that illustrates the use of
the context argument as a variable,
bound to provenance restrictions (e.g., using a dc:source or dc:date
property).  If you can show me an example,
especially one that I can run through SPARQLer,  I would appreciate it.

Cheers, Bob

Bob MacGregor
Chief Scientist
Siderean Software, Inc.