RE: Ambiguity for Literal order in SPARQL

Richard,

Thanks for the clarification. There are still some ambiguities for typed
literals I'd like to clarify. I can distinguish two cases:

1) 2 literals with the same value space.

If both literals have the same datatype uri, thus they share the same value
space. It is also possible that both literals with different datatypes share
the same value space (For example: xsd:int,xsd:float,xsd:double datatypes
maps to value space of Numbers).

If the implementation provides a comparator for the value space, then it
should return the result of this comparison, otherwise delegate the
comparison to the lexical form if not supported or equals value returned.

2) 2 literals with different value spaces (and by inference different
datatypes).

An example would be for custom temporal datatypes to be compared with
xsd:dateTime or datatypes for unit of measure.

If the implementation provides an "adapter" from one value space to another
and a comparator for these "compatible" values, then it should return the
result of this comparison, otherwise delegate the comparison to the lexical
form if not adapter or comparator supported or equals value returned.

That means the comparison in value space would be implementation specific.

Does the WG agree with this approach? Let me know if I was not clear.

Best regards

Stephane Fellah
KnowledgeSmarts Architect and Product Manager
http://www.imagematterllc.com