Re: OPTIONALs and shared variables

On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 11:12:28AM -0400, Jorge Adrián Pérez Rojas wrote:
> Eric Prud'hommeaux wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 05:52:52PM -0400, Jorge Pérez wrote:
> >> Hi Eric,
> >>
> >> I've been following the development of SPARQL for a couple of months and
> >> I've a comment about your last mail on public-rdf-dawg (I've no access
> >> this list so I'm writing only to you).
> >>
> >> You say that a query like

> >> WHERE {
> >>    ?a dc10:title "thing" .
> >>    OPTIONAL { ?a dc10:creator ?name }
> >>    ?a cc:license ?license .
> >>    OPTIONAL { ?a dc11:creator ?c .
> >>               ?c rdf:value ?name }
> >> }
> >>
> >> must be evaluated as two patterns with OPTIONALs in them. What I
> >> understand from what yo say is that we have a group graph pattern with
> >> two
> >> OPTIONAL patterns inside:
> >>
> >>    ?a dc10:title "thing" .
> >>    OPTIONAL { ?a dc10:creator ?name }
> >>
> >> and
> >>
> >>    ?a cc:license ?license .
> >>    OPTIONAL { ?a dc11:creator ?c .
> >>               ?c rdf:value ?name }
> >>
> >> is that correct? If this is the case the spec says that the solutions
> >> are
> >> the ones that are solution simultaneously to both patterns,
> >
> > I disagree with the "simultaneously" part. That is, I think the "any" in
> > [[
> > There is no implied order of graph patterns within a Group Graph
> > Pattern. Any solution for the group graph pattern that can satisfy all
> > the graph patterns in the group is valid, independently of the order
> > that may be implied by the lexical order of the graph patterns in the
> > group.
> > ]]
> > means that it's a union of all of the possible interpretations.
>
> Im ok with the *any* part, but the *simultaneously* part in my argument
> refeer to the **all** part in
> [[
> There is no implied order of graph patterns within a Group Graph
> Pattern. Any solution for the group graph pattern that can satisfy **all**
> the graph patterns in the group is valid, independently of the order
> that may be implied by the lexical order of the graph patterns in the
> group.
> ]]
>
> so, from my point of view, the mapping
>
> |    ?name     |  ?c   |
> +--------------+-------+
> | "John Smith" |       |
>
> is not a solution because it do not satisfy **all** the graph patterns in
> the group (it do not satisfy the second OPTIONAL graph patter in the
> group).

Interesting. That's certainly a valid interpretation of "all". My
interpretation had been that a solution satisfies all of the
constraints when evaluated in any given order. Yours appears to be  <-+
that a solutions satisfies all the constrains when evaluated in all   |
possible orders.                                                      |

There are some folks who are working on clarifying the formal         |
semantics right now; I'll ask them to look at this.  Hey AndyS, PatH, |