Re: Proposed fixed version of N-Triples https://www.w3.org/TR/n-triples/ Section 7

> On Jun 29, 2017, at 5:48 AM, Peter F. Patel-Schneider <pfpschneider@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> One problem with providing these test cases is that it is not really possible
> to determine exactly what the current grammar allows.

Turtle adds some clarity:

> White space (production WS) is used to separate two terminals which would otherwise be (mis-)recognized as one terminal. Rule names below in capitals indicate where white space is significant; these form a possible choice of terminals for constructing a Turtle parser.

This language comes from the SPARQL 1.1 grammar, so any change need for N-Triples/Quads/Turtle/TriG would also need to be applied there.

What it doesn’t do is say that white space may be composed of one or more WS or comments, which it probably should. Comments are treated as white space.

There is no discussion of white space within terminals, except for the String production and ANON terminal.

Personally, I’m not a fan if adding explicit WS to the grammar.

My interpretation for all grammars is that any amount of white space is allowed between any terminals, not required at all in N-Triples/Quads, and necessary in SPARQL/Turtle/TriG to keep two terminals from being confused.

> For example, there are multiple readings of "terminal".  Is it any terminal,
> in which case white space might be allowed within blank node labels?  Is it
> any terminal mentioned in the productions for non-terminals, in which case
> blank space might be allowed before language tags?  Is it only named terminals
> mentioned in the productions for non-terminals?

The quote above qualifies the use of white space to be significant in rule names in capitals, which are the "Productions for terminals”. Thus, WS is significant in the STRING_LITERAL_* terminals, and allowed within ANON. Perhaps it should be made clear that white space within other terminals is specifically not allowed.

It is somewhat problematic that note 6 specifically says that no white space is allowed between the sign and the number, which might imply that white space is allowed, say, between numbers, or following ‘@‘. My parser implements terminals as regular expressions, where white space is explicit within the regular expression, if necessary. The tokenizer eats any amount of whitespace between matched terminals; I think is is probably a fairly common pattern.

Gregg