Re: RDF's relative IRI resolution is ambiguous

From: Ruben Verborgh <ruben.verborgh@ugent.be>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 17:55:25 +0200
Cc: Gregory Williams <greg@evilfunhouse.com>, Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>, RDF Comments <public-rdf-comments@w3.org>
To: Eric Prud'hommeaux <eric@w3.org>
Hi Eric,

> The "only" text
> (first written in SPARQL 1.0) was intended to say that the only
> permissible normalization was that described in 5.2.

That seems to be the final answer then.
Might be good to have test cases for this (if still possible),
since each parser seems to have its own interpretation.

This interpretation thus means that
   BASE <http://example.org/xxx/yyy/zzz/../../../>
   <> <a> <http://example.org/xxx/yyy/zzz/../../../a>.
results in
   <http://example.org/xxx/yyy/zzz/../../../> <http://example.org/a> <http://example.org/xxx/yyy/zzz/../../../a>.
which feels weird, because each component seems to follow its own logic.
But at least it's a spec'ed kind of weird.

For what it's worth, I haven't found a single Turtle parser
that correctly implements the specification (Raptor fails on the above).
I'll update my N3.js to implement this correctly.

@All thanks for your help.

Best,

Ruben