Re: Plain literals in Canonical N-triples

On Dec 27, 2014, at 9:24 PM, Stian Soiland-Reyes <soiland-reyes@cs.manchester.ac.uk> wrote:

> No, for once I am not coming from OWL :)
>
> I'm just writing a simple n-triples serializer, and I am not sure if I should simply always include the type if there is no @lang (e.g. ^^xsd:string)

It was certainly the intention of the RDF 1.1 WG that every literal should have a type. We even provided a special 'type' for the @lang case, to preserve this intention. It seems to me that one should not ever go wrong by including the ^^xsd:string, which was semantically correct even in original RDF, whereas really plain plain literals now have the shadow of deprecation hanging over them, at the very least.

Hope this helps.

Pat Hayes

> [...]
>
> Surely just one of these should be in the canonical version ? My guts says to always include the type for non-lang, but the spec is ambigous on this - if xsd:string is implied, should I then prefer to generate this implied version?
>
> Before rdf 1.1 the norm tended to be to NOT express xsd:string unless it really was a character-by-character string (e.g. a genome identifier), and not when it was human text (but in unknown or mixed language).
>
> As we SHOULD be generating the Canonical N-Triples, then it would be good to know if there already is a silent de facto agreement that is just not expressed in the spec.
>
> You might know the code base -
> https://github.com/stain/commons-rdf/blob/tests/src/test/java/com/github/commonsrdf/dummyimpl/LiteralImpl.java#L99
>
> On 27 Dec 2014 17:14, "Peter Ansell" <ansell.peter@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Stian,
>
> RDF-1.1 does not have the concept of plain literals [1]. Hence, it is
> difficult to map the OWL-WG-derived rdf:PlainLiteral set to RDF-1.1,
> if that is where you are coming at the issue from [2].
>
> Cheers,
>
> Peter
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/REC-rdf11-concepts-20140225/#section-Graph-Literal
> [2] https://github.com/owlcs/owlapi/issues/172
>
> On 27 December 2014 at 16:37, Stian Soiland-Reyes
> <soiland-reyes@cs.manchester.ac.uk> wrote:
> > In http://www.w3.org/TR/n-triples/#canonical-ntriples I read:
> >
> >> Canonical N-Triples has the following additional constraints on layout:
> >>
> >>     The whitespace following subject, predicate, and object MUST be a single space, (U+0020). All other locations that allow whitespace MUST be empty.
> >>     There MUST be no comments.
> >>     HEX MUST use only uppercase letters ([A-F]).
> >>     Characters MUST NOT be represented by UCHAR.
> >>     Within STRING_LITERAL_QUOTE, only the characters U+0022, U+005C, U+000A, U+000D are encoded using ECHAR. ECHAR MUST NOT be used for characters that are allowed directly in STRING_LITERAL_QUOTE.
> >

> > and in http://www.w3.org/TR/n-triples/#sec-parsing-terms
> >
> >> If neither a language tag nor a datatype IRI is provided, the literal has a datatype of xsd:string.
> >

> > and in http://www.w3.org/TR/n-triples/#sec-literals
> >
> >> If there is no datatype IRI and no language tag it is a simple literal and the datatype is http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#string.
> >
> >> Example 3
> >>     <http://example.org/show/218> <http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#label> "That Seventies Show"^^<http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#string> . # literal with XML Schema string datatype
> >>     <http://example.org/show/218> <http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#label> "That Seventies Show" . # same as above
> >

> > So I am not any wiser with regards to how to serialize plain literals
> > in RDF 1.1 Canoical N-Triples..
> >

> > Are both of the two examples allowed in Canonical N-Triples? (it seems

IHMC                                     (850)434 8903 home
40 South Alcaniz St.            (850)202 4416   office
FL 32502                              (850)291 0667   mobile (preferred)