RE: RDF 1.1 - Skolem IRI

Hi Hans,

On Friday, May 31, 2013 11:14 AM, Hans Teijgeler wrote:
> Good morning,
>
> We use http://www.w3.org/TR/swbp-n-aryRelations/#useCase3 throughout.
>
> Are you saying that Purchase_1  in the shown code:
> :Purchase_1
>       a       :Purchase ;
>       :has_buyer :John ;
>       :has_object :Lenny_The_Lion ;
>       :has_purpose :Birthday_Gift ;
>       :has_amount 15 ;
>       :has_seller :books.example.com .
> shall have a Skolem IRI? If so, why for Pete's sake?

No, skolemization is used to replace blank node identifiers (_:xxx) with
IRIs. This is sometimes necessary as some systems expect IRIs instead of
blank node identifiers in some positions. Skolemization reserves some IRI
space to mint IRIs which are recognizable as blank node identifiers so that
they can be converted back to blank node identifiers later on.

Your example doesn't contain any blank nodes and so it doesn't apply in this
case.

> And if so, must we really waste storage space by adding .well-
> known/genid/  to those IRI's?

No, they are already IRIs, i.e., globally valid unambiguous identifiers. Do
not change them.

Hope this helps,
Markus

--