Re: PrEfIx and BaSe should be removed from Turtle

On 5/26/13 10:06 AM, Sandro Hawke wrote:
> On 05/25/2013 03:19 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>> On 5/24/13 10:41 PM, David Booth wrote:
>>> I agree with Sandro's bottom line: "*I think it's burden on users to
>>> have to keep track of arbitrary and meaningless syntactic
>>> differences between closely related languages.*", and I think that
>>> should be the W3C's overriding concern.  It is an embarrassment and
>>> an annoyance to have this obvious design flaw between the two
>>> languages (Turtle and SPARQL).
>>>
>>> I previously argued for fixing SPARQL in this regard, but it would
>>> be much more expedient to change Turtle, since it will probably be a
>>> few years before SPARQL could be changed.
>>>
>>> Bottom line: Please align Turtle and SPARQL syntax one way or another.
>>
>> +1
>
> Obviously I concur.      Anybody want to take a strawpoll of SPARQL
> folks and see how they feel about adding @prefix to SPARQL?  I imagine
> several would be appalled by the idea, but I could be wrong.

They shouldn't be irked if the change is going to be on the Turtle side,
driven by the goal of SPARQL alignment.

> If we add PREFIX to Turtle, there's a question about how we talk about
> it and present it editorially.   Do we say @prefix is the older form
> and that PREFIX is preferred now?

Yes.

>   Which do we use in examples?

Newer.

> There's also the question of the dot at end of the declaration. People
> have said that with PREFIX we MUST NOT allow the dot at the end of the
> line because SPARQL doesn't allow it.

Yes. Even more so if SPARQL alignment is the goal.

> The fear is that if we allow a dot there in Turtle, then when people
> cut/paste to SPARQL they'll have to remove those dots.

Yes, and that's a major headache. I write a lot of SPARQL and Turtle and
I feel that pain zillions of times a day.

> An alternative is to see whether SPARQL implementors would be willing
> to change their grammars to allow an optional dot at the end of the
> prefix and base directives.  Technically that would be an extension to
> SPARQL 1.0/1.1.   Perhaps it would become part of 1.2.  It seems
> harmless to me, but perhaps I'm missing something.

For us me can implement that quickly. I can't speak for other though.

> As a major SPARQL vendor, how would you feel about (1) adding @prefix
> and/or (2) allowing an optional dot at the end of the PREFIX directive?

No problem, as per comments above.

Kingsley

--

Regards,