Re: JSON-LD should be an RDF syntax

On 4/29/13 6:44 PM, David Booth wrote:

>>> It clearly has *not* been resolved, as: (a) we are still discussing
>>> it; (b) there obviously is major contention; and (c) the definition in
>>> the current draft substantially conflicts with the original sense of
>>> the term and with established usage.
>>
>> It has been resolved on the JSON-LD side of things, to be clear.
>
> Not true.  First, I see no such issue listed at all on the LDP working
> group issue tracker, whether open or closed:
> http://www.w3.org/2012/ldp/track/issues
> Second, the JSON-LD spec as a whole is only in draft status.  It is
> far from resolved.

Why are you debating this matter here when there is a JSON-LD list? This
isn't the place for you to arrive at clarity about the status of this
matter.

>> I have
>> no idea what the state of play is on the RDF groups side of things, I do
>> know that you are a single voice of dissent at this point in time
>> though.
>
> For goodness sake, you just heard *two* voices of dissent in less than
> 10 hours!

And the voices are? Again, why not move this discussion to the right
place. Do you truly believe that key JSON-LD spec participants are
actually following this list? If they were, I would even be the one
leading the retort to your position positions about Linked Data, RDF,
and JSON-LD.

> Furthermore:
>
>  - Of the top 10 hits from in a google search for "Linked Data",
> **every one of them stated or implied that Linked Data is based on RDF.**
>
>  - Of the top 10 sites listed in a google search for '"Linked Data"
> is', **every one of them stated or implied that Linked Data is based
> on RDF.**
>
>  - Of the top 10 sites listed in a google search for '"Linked Data"
> definition', **every one of them stated or implied that Linked Data is
> based on RDF.**

Wow! I didn't know that.

> How much evidence do you need?

Not the kind you've presented so far. Since you haven't been able to
clarify the relationship between RDF and Linked Data without utter
conflation. The very kind of conflation that gets RDF nowhere and then
simply drags Linked Data down with it, for no good reason whatsoever.
None at all.

> Shall we check the top 100 hits?  Or the top 1000 hits?  Shall we try
> other search engines?   If you search hard enough you might find a
> tiny fraction that supports your claim.  But the vast majority of the
> evidence does not.
>
> The vast majority of the evidence indicates that in established usage,
> the term "Linked Data" implies the use of RDF.

You wish, but it's an utter fallacy.

> If you wish to propose a new definition that is contrary to this
> established usage, you are obviously free to do so.  But please do
> *not* make the patently false claim that your proposed new definition
> reflects accepted usage.  It very clearly does NOT.

I am not proposing a new definition for JSON-LD or Linked Data. What I
am telling you is that there is zero value in conflating RDF and Linked
Data.

>>> Of course not.  The implication is the other way around: Linked Data
>>> (in the original, established sense of the term) implies RDF.
>>
>> Linked Data doesn't imply RDF at all.
>
> Apparently it doesn't in *your* mind.

No it doesn't. IN my mind RDF doesn't need to make a power-grab for the
phrase "Linked Data" . RDF is useful on its own as a mechanism for
producing powerful Web-scale Linked Data.

>   But in the established sense of the term, "Linked Data" very clearly
> *does* imply RDF.

Again, you wish.

That's an utter fallacy. Repeating a fallacy doesn't make it true.

"established sense of the term" means what? Who is doing the
establishing here?

>> Linked Data simply implies that a URI resolves to a Document that
>> describes its referent.
>>
>> RDF based Linked Data implies the above, plus the fact that the Document
>> is comprised of RDF based content [1][2].

>>> Right.

>>> I am amazed that you think so.  If you can show me evidence, then
>>> perhaps I can figure out why we seem to be miscommunicating so badly.
>>> At present I am mystified.
>>
>> As per my comments above, there are links to illustrations of RDF based
>> Linked Data URIs which convey the critical aspects of RDF based
>> Linked Data.
>>
>> Please note, the entity relationship model precedes any notion of RDF
>> [3]. The contribution made by RDF is as follows:
>>
>> 1. URIs as denotation mechanism for entities
>> 2. Explicit rather than implicit entity relationship semantics --
>> discernible to humans and machines.

>>> Please do not conflate RDF with its syntax or serializations. Many who
>>> are new to RDF make this mistake.
>>
>> I am not making a mistake. A simple example:
>>
>> ## Turtle ##
>>
>> <> a <#Document> .
>>
>> ## End ##
>>
>> The above is an example of syntax notation. Note how the notation allows
>> the use or relative URIs. That's syntax notation for expressing an RDF
>> model graph using Turtle.
>>
>> A Turtle processor will not output an RDF graph serialization with
>> relative URIs, such a thing is an invalid RDF graph.
>
> Turtle is a syntax for serializing RDF.

It is a syntax notation for expressing RDF graphs. When a Turtle is
exchanged between a client and a server, the final persisted data isn't
Turtle notation. The final product is an RDF graph. A graph that will
not have relative URIs, for instance.

>   It uses many syntactic conventions that are not a part of the RDF
> model, including square brackets, parentheses for lists, "@prefix"
> declarations, and relative URIs.  The fact that those syntactic
> elements do not appear in the RDF model is irrelevant.

No, it means its a syntax notation that processors can interpret en
route to making the actual RDF graph.

>>> It is harmful to perpetuate this misunderstanding.
>>
>> Who is perpetuating any kind of misunderstanding here? You have a simple
>> Turtle example that backs up my point.
>
> No, Turtle is a syntax for serializing RDF.

serialization != expression.

>> RDF has SPO based 3-tuples as its syntax.
>>
>> Turtle is an example of notation for expressing those 3-tuples.
>>
>> The final RDF graph is the product of processors that understand one or
>> more syntax notations en route to producing actual RDF graphs.
>
> Right: Turtle is a syntax for serializing RDF.  The Turtle
> serialization is *not* the same as the actual RDF.

Expressing a Graph is just that. Of course, you can serialize an RDF
graph in Turtle, but that's the product of procession the graph
expression. For example, the serialized Turtle will not have any
relative URIs in it otherwise the RDF graph is utterly invalid.

>>> RDF may be poorly understood to many developers, but that is
>>> irrelevant, as many technologies are poorly understood to many
>>> developers.
>>
>> It isn't irrelevant. RDF has taking a simple concept and turned it into
>> a riddle, for all the wrong reasons.
>>
>>> But RDF is *not* poorly understood from a technical perspective: it is
>>> a W3C standard and is very clearly defined.
>>
>> No comment. I think that statement speaks for itself with regards to
>> actual reality.

>>> Right.

>>> Right.

>>> I didn't conflate them.
>>
>> You conflate them whenever you infer:
>>
>> 1. Linked Data is RDF
>
> No, in the sentence "Linked Data is RDF" the word "is" means "is
> composed of" -- not "is the same as".  The word "is" has many
> definitions in English:
> http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/be
>
>> 2. RDF is Linked Data.
>
> I have never suggested that RDF is Linked Data.  I have pointed out
> more than once that Linked Data (in the established sense of the term)
> is *based* on RDF -- not the other way around.

The *established term* route will not get you to the point of clarity.
You would like it to be so, but simply doesn't make it so. Worst of all,
there is next to no value in it being so. The Web is about loose
coupling. Break that "deceptively simple rule" and you end up with
what's happened to RDF over the last 13+ years i.e., a really useful
thing becomes the victim of poor and confusing narratives that repel
rather than attract.

>> Linked Data is neither, it's something you can produce in very powerful
>> form using RDF.
>>
>>> Linked Data (in the original and established sense of the term)
>>> *builds* on RDF.  Not the other way around.  And the two are not
>>> synonymous.

>>> Yes, and in the original and established sense of the term "Linked
>>> Data", *all* Linked Data is RDF based.
>>
>> It is not. Stop pushing that misconception.
>
> I resent that accusation.

??

I guess you haven't made any accusations in this discussion, right?

> It is patently false, and I consider it libelous.

If you can't take what you dish out, then don't make similar accusations.

> The vast majority of evidence shows that in the established sense of
> the term, Linked Data *is* based on RDF.

Dare I disagree? Would that be *libelous*?

> Please do not continue to make false claims either about the
> established meaning of the term "Linked Data" or about me.

??

Bye, and I am done with this debate/discussion, the tone has
deteriorated beyond any level that I can accept, personally.

Kingsley