Re: Futures (was: Request for JSON-LD API review)

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 7:24 AM, Norbert Lindenberg
<w3@norbertlindenberg.com> wrote:
> On Apr 16, 2013, at 16:55 , Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 8:30 AM, Markus Lanthaler
>> <markus.lanthaler@gmx.net> wrote:
>>> After a short discussion with Robin we decided to use method overloading to
>
>>> We also considered Futures but decided that introducing a normative
>>> dependency to the DOM spec is not acceptable at this stage.
>
>> In this case, your API is a textbook example of Futures.  You have an
>> async call which returns a single value, or an error.  You can't get
>> much more perfect than that.
>
> Maybe Futures should be in a separate spec? They don't seem to have any dependencies on DOM, and having them separate would reduce the bureaucratic hurdles for non-DOM specs to refer to them. Maybe eventually they could migrate into the ECMAScript standard library (currently known as ES chapter 15).

I suspect that baking them into JS would be a great final destination.
 In the meantime, though, that doesn't help the stated bureaucratic
hurdles, because a separate "Futures" spec will be exactly as
standards-track-advanced as the current DOM spec.

~TJ