Re: Local names may now start with a digit?

Note that RDFa has the same feature. In the case of RDFa, the request came (a fairly long time ago, actually) from, eg, IPTC[1] that has internal data structures that denote individual items by numbers. This is the same with, say, geonames URI-s, if my memory serves me well, but also in a number of library cataloguing services. In all those cases the 'natural' prefix:localname' structure would lead to a numeric-only local name.

Ivan

[1] http://www.iptc.org/site/Home/
On Jun 28, 2012, at 17:48 , Gavin Carothers wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 8:41 AM, David Booth <david@dbooth.org> wrote:
>> I notice that the Turtle grammar now permits a local name to begin with
>> a digit, such as foo:1234 or _:5678 .
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/turtle/#term-turtle2-PN_LOCAL
>> As far as I remember, this is a divergence from RDF/XML, because XML
>> local names are not permitted to start with a digit.  When I check the
>> RDF WG list of resolutions I see no mention of this change, so
>>
>> I am wondering about the rationale for this change, but I see no mention
>> of it in the RDF WG list of resolutions:
>> http://demo.3roundstones.net/rdf/2012/rdfwg/resolutions.xhtml?view
>>
>> Was this divergence discussed?  And if so, can someone please supply a
>> pointer to the rationale?
>
> http://www.w3.org/2011/rdf-wg/track/issues/1
>
> Part of the alignment of Turtle with SPARQL 1.0 and SPARQL 1.1, both
> of which allow for local names that start with digits. The RDF data
> model has always allowed for any IRI to be used, this in fact meant
> that there is valid RDF that cannot be expressed in RDF/XML.
>
> Thank you for your comment. I hope that clears up your question.
>
> Cheers,
> Gavin
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

>> --
>> David Booth, Ph.D.
>> http://dbooth.org/
>>
>> Opinions expressed herein are those of the author and do not necessarily
>> reflect those of his employer.

----
Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
mobile: +31-641044153