Re: Empty datatype for override?

David,

On 23 Nov 2011, at 14:39, David McNeil wrote:
> I notice section 10.4 of the R2RML spec [1] says:
>
> "The datatype-override RDF literal corresponding to a SQL data value v and a (possibly empty) datatype IRI dt"
>
> I am unable to think of a scenario where the datatype IRI would be empty and there would still be a datatype-override condition. Can you explain this?

The only place where “datatype-override RDF literal” is invoked (besides some no-op invocations) is:

[[
Otherwise, if the term map has a non-empty specified datatype that is different from the natural RDF datatype corresponding to the term map's implicit SQL datatype, then return the datatype-override RDF literal corresponding to value and the specified datatype.
]]
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/rdb2rdf/r2rml/#dfn-term-generation-rules

So you are right, the datatype IRI can never be empty and the definition in 10.4 can be simplified.

Seems to be a case of premature generalization. I'll fix it.