R2RML examples and primer (was: Re: Editorial comments on R2RML)

Hi Ivan,

(trimming cc list)

On 8 Nov 2011, at 08:57, Ivan Herman wrote:
>> I think that the examples in Section 2 are sufficient and I don't think that adding further general examples as an appendix would improve the spec. All the features that were shown in those extended examples are used and explained in Section 2. If you feel that specific R2RML features lack sufficient examples, then please let us know and we'll consider it. However, I'd prefer to add small and tailored specific examples to the section that explains the feature, or perhaps to Section 2.
>
> Well... I am fine with the examples being elsewhere, in this sense, the R2RML document is fine. However, from the point of view of the collection of documents at large, I am not sure I am fully happy with the choice of moving those examples into the test cases and only there. If I look at the test case document, it is aimed at implementer who, well, want to test. It has a bunch of entries there on review status, purpose, etc, which are obscuring things when I want to look at the examples simply as a means of learning R2RML (and Direct Mapping), ie, as some sort of a primer. I mean, the links to the expected results go to a mercurial archive file, which is again fine for implementers, but is again confusing for people wanting to learn that stuff!
>
> I guess what I am looking for here is some sort of a primer document then, if the decision is not to put it into the core spec. But something is missing.

I understand the concerns about putting the examples into the test cases document.

The examples you mention are found in the old R2RML version here:

http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/WD-r2rml-20110324/#sec-example

The examples currently found in Section 2 are here:

http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/rdb2rdf/r2rml/#example-input-database

Can you explain what you find helpful in the old examples that isn't covered in the current ones?

Best,