Re: Q: ISSUE-41 bNode semantics

On Wed, 2011-05-18 at 17:24 +0200, Enrico Franconi wrote:
> On 18 May 2011, at 17:14, Alexandre Bertails <bertails@w3.org> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2011-05-18 at 17:05 +0200, Enrico Franconi wrote:
> >> If this is the attitude of the majority of the group, I will then request that the mapping explicitly does not deal with RDBs having NULL values, and that will produce results incompatible with the RDB semantics for NULL values otherwise. If you do not say this explicitly, then this group will produce a standard that will not be backward compatible whenever in the future you will have to deal with NULL values.
> >> My opinion is that we have to consider NULL values, since I barely know real world RDBs without NULL values.
> >
> > This is still a claim. Can you please provide a use-case, some arguments
> > and give us some proposals?
>
> I believed I already did in my emails, but I can resummarise my claims and my proposal later today when I will be back home. As for the claim that most *real world* (I mean in companies with non-toy RDBs and real DBAs, etc) RDBs contain NULLs I'll leave it as it is.

I believe that the NULL thing was brought by a discussion about the
Information Preservation concern. We have already said this will be
handled by the mapping of the RDB schema.

More specifically about handling NULL values... We *did* take that into
account by formally deciding not to map a triple for a value that does
not exist.

So my questions are:
* what is your requirement for NULL values?
* what do you expect to see in the RDF?
* what's missing today in the Direct Mapping?
* do you have concrete examples?
* can you be specific about which part(s) of the Direct Mapping must be
fixed?

Alexandre.