Re: Default Mapping and tomorrow's telcon

* Harry Halpin <hhalpin@w3.org> [2010-11-02 10:47-0000]
> > Michael and all,
> >
> > First we need to get comments back from everybody soon about section 2.
> >
> > We then need to have some discussion about 2.3.3 and 2.3.4.
> >
> > After that, we need to talk about the formal notation. I would like to
> > propose the following:
> >
> > Lets have all three notations: set, datalog and relational alegrbra.
> >
> > Therefore everybody can be happy.
>
> I'm happy with three notations out in the FPWD, and then we can ask for
> feedback about what notation is preferred. Ideally, in these sort of
> cases, I'd like to have consensus (or even a vote) from implementers
> decide. But in order to make that decision fair and transparent, we need
> *one* document with all three notations lined up next to each other after
> each english explanation.

I think we're making progress on that. Juan, Marcelo and I are working
out our editorial predilections on a pair of documents with identical
structure. On the 9th, the WG can look at the two and cherry pick the
pieces they like.

We have different intuitions about how to explain what the mapping is,
but I think we mostly agree on the mapping itself (as in, what is the
direct graph for a given database). I've posted a comment about the
place where I think we disagree, which is whether there's a special
case for many-to-many tables:
  http://www.w3.org/mid/20101102085620.GA7095@w3.org
Hopefully, we can resolve that in email and then have purely editorial
choices on the 9th.

I'm excited to get this document out; it has the potential to engage
a lot of people.

--
-ericP