Re: Use Cases and Requirements for Mapping Relational Databases to RDF

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 9:46 AM, Michael Hausenblas <
michael.hausenblas@deri.org> wrote:

> > I am truly confused right now.
>
> Yeah, confusing, isn't it?

I know. I understood that Angela, Dan and I were going to organize the Use
Case document. Angela did the intro and motivation and Dan and I were
working on the use cases. We wanted to show usecases such as [1] or [2].
These are completely different of what you guys just published. In what we
wrote in [3], we are trying to follow that same scenario.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/webont-req/#usecase-portal
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-rdfa-scenarios/#use-case-5
[3]
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/rdb2rdf/wiki/Use_Cases_and_Requirements#Use_Cases

> Again, as I said, we're operating on a moving target here. Don't worry,
> bits
> are integrated as we talk. We take as an input all the relevant Wiki pages
> and create a consistent, balanced document.
>
> I've printed out all the documents now and currently comparing everything.
>
> If you want to contribute, I'd like to ask you to rewrite [1] so that we
> can
> include it. In its current form I can't understand it, it doesn't fit
> really
> in and is IMHO also not really in scope of this document.

I understand that the R2ML Application and Use Case Requirement section in
[4] may be a bit hairy (and academic). However, we need to have design goals
and requirements. As mentioned by some participants of the group, we can't
just present a use case of a rdb in rdf. That isn't a use case. We need to
tell a story without trying to sell RDF. We need to motivate WHY we need to
do RDB2RDF. This section opens that up (and I agree that it needs to be
cleaned up). We have a starting point (Scope of Data Processing) where the
RDB that we want to expose as RDF can be completely structured,
structured+semistructured or structured+ microparsed tagged text.

Eventually we want to integrate our RDB with other resources such as:
stuctured or semantic (existing RDF) or some mashup.

We also need to have clear the role of the ontology. Are we mapping to an
existing domain ontology? or not.

The 3 use cases that we have initially presented tell a story of WHY we need
RDB2RDF. The Enterprise RB shows that you are integrating two structured
sources (both RDB). The Bio use case shows that you are integrating a RDB
with existing RDF. The Wordpress usecase shows that I just want to have
RDB2RDF so I can get crawled by semantic web search engines.

I just wanted to get this out now and hopefully people will have the chance
to read this before the telecon so we get on the same page.

[4]
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/rdb2rdf/wiki/Use_Cases_and_Requirements#R2ML_Application_Use_Case_Requirements