Re: Issues with parameterized hashing algorithms used internally

> On 18 Sep 2023, at 17:26, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Sep 18, 2023 at 11:15 AM Phil Archer <phil.archer@gs1.org> wrote:
>> From: Dan Yamamoto <dan@iij.ad.jp>
>> Therefore, I believe the internal hash function should be interchangeable. However, as others have suggested, I think there is a need to introduce a mechanism to specify what hash function is used explicitly.
>
> Just to jump in quickly on this thread; it feels like the harms are
> being exaggerated given the way we know that RDFC-1.0 is used today.
> If we look at how the VC Data Integrity specifications use the
> algorithm, you /always/ know which internal hash algorithm was used
> (or should be used) because it's signalled to you via the Data
> Integrity algorithm identifier. You don't have to guess, you are told
> exactly which internal hash algorithm to use.
>
> I wonder if folks are missing this detail? It was always expected that
> the internal hash information would be signalled to the caller, and
> that's exactly what Data Integrity does. Perhaps all we need to do in
> the spec is ensure that one of the outputs is the internal hash
> function used and to tell spec writers that use RDFC-1.0 that any
> algorithm that uses it needs to clearly stipulate which internal
> algorithm to use when calling the algorithm (and if not, the default
> will be used)?

I do not think the issue is with spec writers. RDFC-1.0 is meant for any lambda users of Linked Data, not only for spec writers. While what you say is o.k., what we need is a way to convey the information of what hash function was used when we provide the hash of a specific graph, because that hash may travel from one lambda user to the other.

Ivan

> This feels more like a miscommunication than a design issue. Does the
> above help clarify?
>
> -- manu
>
> --
> Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.