Re: Applying quick fixes automatically

Hi Tom,

my first question to your approach would be: why don’t you use XSLT for
that kind of fixing?

When I designed the SQF language I tried to have a clear distinction to
XSLT by the following thinking:

A validation error should be thrown only if a machine can not handle the
data structure.
If there is a full automatically way to fix the error, it is no error
needed. So you can use a script e.g. XSLT to get what you want.
If there is no automatic way to fix the error, a human decision is needed.
SQF was specially designed for this case.

Nevertheless there were concepts introduced which are leading in the
direction of your workflow:

   1. The @default-fix: the background of the default fix was that I had
   already in mind that you should be able to apply more than one QuickFix at
   once. The idea was, that an UI could provide a list of all available
   QuickFixes and you can for instance select all default QuickFixes by one
   click but go through list and make manual changes. I still think this would
   be a helpful feature for Oxygen, but I had a discussion with George Bina
   years ago about it and he had a different opinion. The Escali Plugin for
   the Oxygen
   <https://github.com/schematron-quickfix/escali-package/tree/master/escaliOxygen>
   had such a feature, but I didn’t checked if the plugin still works on the
   newer Oxygen versions.
   2. QuickFixes without Schematron: after Octavian and my presentation on
   the XML Prague 2019 there was a discussion that you may could define a SQF
   document with sqf:fixes as root element containing a collection of
   QuickFixes only. The only info which would be needed is an equivalent to
   sch:rule/@context or xsl:template/@match to give the QuickFix an
   execution context. Then you could execute QuickFixes without Schematron.

So the combination of both as a CLI tool would meet your request, wouldn’t
it?

Best Regards,
Nico

Am Di., 24. Okt. 2023 um 13:19 Uhr schrieb Tomos Hillman <
tom@evolvedbinary.com>:

> Excuse me, I hit send by accident!
>
> For a number of years, I have wondered what the scope is for applying
> certain classes of quick fixes automatically, at the time of validation.
>

> Quickfixes which are automatically and reliably identified, and are set to
> be the default quickfix could be automated in this way, and potentially
> save a round of corrections when having XML captured in bulk by typesetters
> or suppliers.
>

> The problem, it seems to me, is that applying the quickfix will normally
> change the document being validated.
>
> My question is, whether or not it would be possible to write a processor
> which would apply fixes as the SVRL is generated?
>
> Tom
>
> --
> Tomos Hillman
> Senior Engineer
> [image: The Evolved Binary Logo]
> On 23 Oct 2023, 09:34 +0100, Tomos Hillman <tom@evolvedbinary.com>, wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> This definitely isn't a blatant attempt to generate some activity to stop
> the group from being automatically closed.
>
> --
> Tomos Hillman
> Senior Engineer
> <376F50D07D7A4ABC991D6AEDACDAE60E.png>

------------------------------

*Nico Kutscherauer*
XML Developer

*data2type GmbH*
Neuenheimer Landstraße 38/2
69120 Heidelberg

Tel.: +49-(0)6221-73 912 63
Fax: +49-(0)6221-73 912 66

www.data2type.de

Company’s head office: Heidelberg
Commercial Register court: AG Mannheim HRB 715195
CEO: Manuel Montero Pineda