Re: bitmap images in XPath/XQuery specifications

Brian,

The images were initially created by various people using various
tools in various original formats.  Most of them can now be
transformed from their original formats into a variety of displayable
formats.  We've typically used JPEG as the "displayable format"
incorporated into the documents for a variety reasons, but I suspect
that it would be little trouble for us to make the images available
in a scalable format such as SVG.

Assuming it's possible for some, preferably all, of our images, I'll
just do the conversion.  When we next publish a draft of a document,
it will incorporate the new version of its images, but I'm not going
to republish any document solely for the purpose of replacing, say, a
JPEG image with an SVG image.  Therefore, I will make the new
versions available to you directly as soon as they've been produced.

It may take a few days for me to find the cycles to make this
happen.  If you haven't heard from me by Monday, 2010-05-03, please
contact me directly.  I don't think it's feasible for me to be in the
business of distributing files to every interested party, so I trust
that people who do not have a very pressing need can wait until the
next round of publication of various documents to get the newer
versions of the images.

Hope this helps,
    Jim

At 4/28/2010 05:18 AM, Brian Gough wrote:
>Hello
>
>Are there any SVG versions (or other scalable formats) of the bitmap
>images in the XPath and XQuery specifications available?  The bitmaps
>are fairly low resolution.
>
>We're planning to include these documents in a printed book (following
>the terms of the W3C license) and they would look better in a scalable
>format.
>
>Thank you.
>
>--
>best regards
>
>Brian Gough
>
>Network Theory Ltd,
>Publishing Free Software Manuals --- http://www.network-theory.co.uk/

Jim Melton --- Editor of ISO/IEC 9075-* (SQL)     Phone: +1.801.942.0144
   Chair, W3C XML Query WG; XQX (etc.) editor       Fax : +1.801.942.3345
Oracle Corporation        Oracle Email: jim dot melton at oracle dot com
1930 Viscounti Drive      Standards email: jim dot melton at acm dot org
Sandy, UT 84093-1063 USA          Personal email: jim at melton dot name
=  Facts are facts.   But any opinions expressed are the opinions      =
=  only of myself and may or may not reflect the opinions of anybody   =
=  else with whom I may or may not have discussed the issues at hand.  =