Re: [Serial] XHTML Serialization (qt-2004Nov0025-06)

Hi Bjoern

In [1], you submitted the following comment on the October 29 Working
Draft of XSLT 2.0 and XQuery 1.0 Serialization:

---------------------------------
[...]
  The content type SHOULD be set to the value given for the media-type
parameter; the default value for XHTML is text/html. The value
application/xhtml+xml, registered in [RFC3236], MAY also be used.
[...]

It is not clear to me what you mean here, there are only two behaviors
that make sense to me, either

  * the value is always text/html
  * the value is always the value given for media-type defaulting to
text/html

It is never acceptable to use application/xhtml+xml unless explicitly
requested (among other things, some user agents fail to recognize the
charset parameter if the type is not text/html), please change the text to
state that the value must be set to the value given for the media-type or
text/html if no media-type is specified.
---------------------------------

Thank you for submitting this comment.  The XSL and XML Query Working
Groups discussed the comment and have agreed that the text should be
modified.  In the latest serialization specification, the working groups
agreed that parameter values are to be set by the host language
specifications.  Therefore, the working group chose less restrictive text
when defining the value of parameters.  As a result of this, we felt that
a note is sufficient to warn readers of possible consequences.  The new
text is:

[...]
The content type SHOULD be set to the value given for the media-type
parameter.

Note: It is recommended that the host language use as default value for
this parameter one of the MIME types ([RFC2046]) registered for XHTML.
Currently, these are text/html (registered by [RFC2854]) and
application/xhtml-xml (registered by [RFC3236]). Note that some user
agents fail to recognize the charset parameter if the content type is not
text/html.
[...]

May I ask you to confirm that this response is acceptable to you?

Thanks,

Joanne
 [On behalf of the XSL and XML Query Working Groups]

[1]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-qt-comments/2004Nov/0025.html