RE: [F&O] Casting to xs:NOTATION, xs:QName not clarified

From: Frank Legler <legler@sigma.informatik.hu-berlin.de>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 14:56:56 -0800
To: public-qt-comments@w3.org

Hello,

I am sorry to repeat myself, but I did not
receive a satisfying answer the last time.

According to Ashok's mail from 5 Nov 2004 [1]
and from 17 Jan 2005 [2] is it "possible to
construct xs:QName and xs:NOTATION from string
literals"

Nevertheless the casting table in the F&O spec [3]
prohibits the cast from xs:string to xs:QName
and xs:NOTATION. Michael Rys pointed out that
the table applies to both constructors and
casts [4].

My question is if this is
(1) an error in the spec, i.e. the casting table
    needs to be corrected?
or
(2) we indeed can construct xs:QName and
    xs:NOTATION from xs:string but cannot cast it?

Regards,
Frank

URLS:
[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-qt-comments/2004Nov/0019.