RE: [XPath]Need of another Axes!

I feel the need for these myself sometimes, but in XPath 2.0 expressions are
much more composable, so wherever you can write

   following-sibling::x

you can also write

   (following-sibling::x|self::x)

It would be even more composable, of course, if we allowed

   (following-sibling|self)::x

which would also allow useful things like

   (preceding|ancestor)::x

However, these are all things that can be accomplished without inordinate
difficulty in XPath 2.0 as currently defined, and we're past the stage now
of adding new features just because they seem cool.

Of course, it's a little untidy to have the -or-self option on some axes and
not others. But untidiness isn't a good enough reason to withdraw or
deprecate a facility that many people are happily using, nor is it a good
enough reason to add features that the world can live without.

So (and this is a personal response) I think the answer is almost certainly:
nice idea, but no.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/