RE: Removing trailing decimals

This change was made to the specification because a user discovered that the
algorithm for XSLT 2.0 was outputting "3." in situations where XSLT 1.0
generated "3". We decided that we should retain backwards compatibility in
this case, even though the XSLT 1.0 specification of format-number (based on
JDK 1.1) was not precise on the point.

When we made this decision, we did discuss whether there was a need to
enhance format-number() to provide both options, and decided that this would
be feature-creep. There are higher-priority enhancements, such as supporting
exponential notation, but we're trying quite hard at the moment to enforce a
policy of "no new features". In the use case you mention, it would be
entirely acceptable to use a picture of "0.0#" and produce the output "3.0".

Regards,