RE: [F&O] IBM-FO-039: Argument types in max and min

Clarified!  Thanks!

All the best, Ashok

________________________________

From: public-qt-comments-request@w3.org
[mailto:public-qt-comments-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Don Chamberlin
Sent: Thursday, March 04, 2004 5:59 AM
To: public-qt-comments@w3.org
Subject: [F&O] IBM-FO-039: Argument types in max and min

(IBM-FO-039): Sections 15.3.3 (fn:max) and 15.3.4 (fn:min): These
sections say that "$arg must contain only items of a single type or one
of its subtypes for which the gt operator is defined." This would seem
to prevent (for example) finding the max of two values of type xs:long
and xs:short, even they are both derived from xs:integer which has a gt
operator. It would also prevent finding the max of two values whose
types are both derived from xs:string. I do not think this is intended.
I think you mean to say that "all the items in $arg must either be
numeric or be derived from a common base type that has a gt operator."
Similarly, Section 15.3.5 (fn:sum) says that "The input sequence must
contain items of a single type or one of its subtypes." Again, this
would prevent finding the sum of two values of type xs:long and
xs:short. The rule should be restated to accept all numeric values.

--Don Chamberlin